Don’t Mess with Texas Scholarship Open to High School Seniors
February 02, 2011
(AUSTIN, Texas)—Texas high school seniors who care about the environment have the chance to win a college scholarship. The 8th annual Don’t Mess with Texas Scholarship, sponsored by Dow Chemical Company in partnership with Keep Texas Beautiful, is accepting essays February 1 through March 28, 2011.
The first-place winner will receive $3,000. The second- and third-place winners will receive $1,000 each.
Don’t Mess with Texas is a litter prevention campaign sponsored by the Texas Department of Transportation. The scholarship is one of TxDOT’s efforts to generate more youth involvement in the campaign.
“The scholarship is easy to apply for because we ask students to simply tell a personal story about their role in preventing litter,” said TxDOT Travel Information Division Director Doris Howdeshell.
- Any high school senior graduating spring 2011,currently residing and attending school in Texas.
- Seniors planning to further their education at an accredited two- or four-year college or university (public or private) in Texas.
- Timeline: February 1, 2011 – March 28, 2011.
- A 300 to 350 word-essay identifying a litter problem in the student’s school or community and the action he or she took to address it.
- A completed Don’t Mess with Texas Scholarship application online or by mail. For the application, mailing address or further details, visit www.DontMessWithTexas.org.
Don’t Mess with Texas is celebrating its 25th anniversary with a Celebrity Face-Off. Anyone can vote for favorite Don’t Mess with Texas TV ads an unlimited number of times at www.DontMessWithTexas.org/celebrityfaceoff through February 20. Voters’ favorite ad will air on TV all year.
About Don’t Mess with Texas
Don’t Mess with Texas has been educating Texans about litter prevention since 1986. TxDOT’s litter prevention program includes Adopt-a-Highway and a grassroots partnership with Keep Texas Beautiful. Don’t Mess with Texas activities also include a spring “Trash-Off”, community outreach, a scholarship, a corporate partner program, and a photo album where Texans can share their iconic Texas images. For more information, visit www.DontMessWithTexas.org. TxDOT's goals are to prepare for the future, enhance safety, maintain the transportation system, relieve congestion, enhance connectivity, and work with partners to identify funding strategies. For more information, visit www.txdot.gov .