DON’T MESS WITH TEXAS® LICENSE PROPOSAL INFORMATION
Thank you for your interest in obtaining a license for the use of the Don’t mess with Texas (DMWT) registered mark. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) receives many requests for permission to use the Don’t mess with Texas mark. Any and all uses of the mark must be approved by TxDOT. Please review the following information before submitting a request.
WHO APPROVES REQUESTS TO LICENSE THE DMWT MARK?
TxDOT staff members who coordinate the Don’t mess with Texas program process and administer all requests for approving or denying such requests. TxDOT has the legal right and obligation to protect the mark and ensure its proper use, and in doing so has the sole discretion to approve or deny any license request.
WHAT ARE THE GUIDELINES FOR DEVELOPING A PROPOSAL?
- Proposed products should be in good taste and include some clear connection to the litter prevention message, either through communication provided to the consumer or the purpose of the product itself. Example photos, sketches, and product samples will be required.
- The proposed product should not contribute to the litter problem through excess or unnecessary packaging.
- The proposed product should not conflict with other messages promoted by TxDOT, including safe driving. For example, product proposals related to alcoholic beverages are not likely to be approved.
- The proposed use of the mark will adhere to all Don’t mess with Texas brand parameters as provided by TxDOT. All products bearing the Don’t mess with Texas mark must be licensed and approved by TxDOT.
WHAT COSTS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH OBTAINING A LICENSE?
- If TxDOT chooses to enter into a license agreement, costs, including license fees and royalties will be determined upon execution of a license agreement.
- A proposed requestor must fill out and submit the License Request on the next page. If a requestor cannot submit electronically, the requester must print the Usage Request form and mail to:
Texas Department of Transportation
Travel Information Division – License Agreement
150 E. Riverside Drive
Austin, TX 78704